Hungary, Czech Republic, Poland, Germany

Hungary, Czech Republic, Poland, and Germany: 20 Days in Eastern Europe

Friday, July 2, 2010

Gdansk here we come

Good evening from Poland . . .

It's about 11:35 here in Warsaw and I'm repacking my suitcase in preparation for our departure to Gdansk tomorrow morning. Its hard to believe that we only have two cities left on our schedule to visit before returning to the United States. However, in preparing for this trip I initially found myself most excited for our visit to Gdansk so I can't wait to arrive tomorrow!

The Solidarity movement was first created in the shipyards of this port city on the coast of the Baltic Sea. We have been learning about the movement, both prior to arriving in Europe and while here in Warsaw, and one of the most prominent ideas we have found revolves around the lack of violence in the revolution. It was unique in comparison to the Hungarian Revolution of 1956 and the Prague Spring of 1968 because there was this absence of bloodshed and Red Army tanks.

We were asked, during our meeting at the Insititute of National Rememberance, why we were so interested in learning about Solidarity and communism in Eastern/Central Europe. Personally, it caught me off guard . . . I've been thinking about the question for a few days now and I've come up with an answer that proves why I am so interested in Solidarity and the city of Gdansk.

In America I was born with priviledges, freedoms and opportunities. Personally, it is hard to picture myself in a society of suppression under a communist regime. I want to learn about Solidarity and communism because it helps me to truly appreciate the life that I was blessed with. It is enlightening to learn about the lengths that so many were willing to go to in order to fight for those freedoms their society lacked. I have also always been a believer that learning about the history of societies before us gives us the knowledge to make ours better in the future.

Well it's getting late and we have an early morning ahead of us. Until next time . . .

Caitlin

No comments:

Post a Comment